This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Hosting OWIN in IIS without aspnet

May 5, 2013 at 2:02 AM
Is it possible to do this? I am thinking about how nodejs is done using the iisnode module. I am building apps on owin frameworks that don't need the aspnet stuff.

Thanks,
Josh
Coordinator
May 5, 2013 at 3:27 AM
In theory yes, and I've seen some interesting prototypes, but nothing production ready in the short term. Unless you're interested in moving outside IIS?

What specifics of ASP.Net are you looking to avoid? The object model and the global.aspx, or the actual CPU and memory overhead?
May 5, 2013 at 3:37 AM
I was just looking at the possibility to get the benefits of IIS without the cpu/memory overhead of asp.net. I'm doing some initial research on OWIN and was just curious about this specific hosting scenario. Would you be able to point me to some of these prototypes? I am not looking for something short-term and production ready--just doing some research.

Thanks,
Josh
Coordinator
May 5, 2013 at 4:08 AM
I don't think there are any public references available just yet.

Conceptually it is interesting, but in practice your site has to be under pretty heavy load before it will make a difference. The beauty of OWIN is that if such an option does become available it should be painless to adopt. In the meantime you can get started with our existing Asp.Net OWIN host, Microsoft.Owin.Host.SystemWeb.