This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Why did you abandon OWIN? What are the alternatives?

Feb 24, 2016 at 4:23 PM
Edited Feb 24, 2016 at 4:25 PM
I'm sadly forced to create the next REST project at my job using c#, instead of my standard choice Node.js.

As someone who has done a lot of C# programming, I have never really liked ASP.NET, because it seemed way too bloated for me. But while researching which framework to use for the project, I've discovered "OWIN".

It's really minimalistic and unopinionated, giving me the possibility to use only the middleware I need & giving me choices between similar middleware. That's exactly what I like about express or koa for node.js.

But then I realized that Microsoft seemed to abandon OWIN in favor of ASP.NET Core & MVC 6, which again is extremely opinionated and comes with a lot of bloat by default. Not like one would expect, MVC6 is not just a layer on top of OWIN, which would've been nice, but instead is something completely new and just OWIN-compatible.

This makes me really sad, because OWIN looked like something I could've been happy with for coding a REST API. It also raises some questions:
  • Why does Microsoft move away from this modular approach?
  • Why is MVC6 not just based on OWIN?
  • Were there any problems with OWIN?
And also, is it a bad idea to still create a Project on top of OWIN? Or what are some good alternatives to it?

If you don't think OWIN is abandoned, then tell me so in an answer including arguments for that.