Please add some samples and an overview of all the packages

Jun 24, 2013 at 7:35 AM
Hello dear Katana development team,

I've been looking for a way of self hosting my project for some weeks. Then I saw this wonderfull project! I immediatly felt in love with the possibilities. I've been playing around with the different parts but it is quite a difficult task. When you know how to do it, it is very easy, but I spend much more time looking for samples than actually prototyping anything.

Could you add some samples to your project site?

I wanted for example to work with static files and it took me quite a lot of time with my search engine to find something. At the end I just found a post about someone using Owin.StaticFiles. I even didn't know about this package! (Nuget does not show it) The package is from this project too, but there is no way I could get the information about it from this site.

It would be great if you could add an overview of all your packages and their funcions.
Coordinator
Jun 24, 2013 at 2:41 PM
Did you find our samples here?
http://aspnet.codeplex.com/

I'll update them later this week when the beta comes out.

The StaticFiles package is just an early prototype (use at your own risk), so we won't be doing any official samples for it yet. There's a little usage in our performance tests if you're interested:
https://katanaproject.codeplex.com/SourceControl/latest#tests/Katana.Performance.ReferenceApp/Startup.cs
Jun 24, 2013 at 6:18 PM
Thank you very much for the link to the performance test. This is more or less what I meant about some samples.

The first link http://aspnet.codeplex.com is just to the ASP.NET samples (or at least I didn't find the OWIN / Katana samples). Where can I find the samples? Sorry if it is very obvious and I just did not see it.
Coordinator
Jun 24, 2013 at 6:23 PM
Jun 24, 2013 at 6:52 PM
I just wanted to tell why I was looking for how to use the StaticFiles. I would like to create an application with WebAPI for the business logic and then two different clients: one will be a WPF application deployed using ClickOnce and the other one is a small Single Page Application written using JavaScript and AngularJS. The clients just need static files.

When I think about the possible requirements for Owin / Katana this is my list:
  • WebAPI
  • Static files (in my sample to do ClickOnce or simple HTML5 / JavaScript)
  • ASP.NET support
  • Authentication
  • everything else :-)
Jun 24, 2013 at 6:54 PM
Thank you again, Tratcher!
Coordinator
Jun 24, 2013 at 7:33 PM
That list looks very much like we expect common apps to look. Glad to know we're on the right track.

What do you mean by Asp.Net support? Do you mean you want to run only on Asp.Net, on both Asp.Net and HttpListener, or something else?
Jun 25, 2013 at 7:58 AM
Well, I am probably one of the last "Windows guys" out there :-) I develop mainly with Winforms and WPF.
I am prototyping something new and as I said I use WebAPI for the Server (just great!) and the two clients using WPF and HTML5/Javascript. The WPF Client is very rich with lots of graphic components and is deployed using ClickOnce. The HTML5/Javascript is just a Management console for the Business Server. This console is used for maintenance for the Service. I add instances, stop or start them, modify their database connections, ... this kind of stuff.

I don't know how far I can go using just HTML5 / Javascript and this is the reason for the ASP.NET Support (probably MVC in my case).

Authentication is even more important for us. We develop a Business application and authentication is a must.