This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

MVC5 Web Application on Katana

Nov 13, 2013 at 10:09 PM
I am new to OWIN and Katana and my questions are more design related.

I have the following questions concerning what I truly understand about the framework/specification:
  • As of now, MVC5 web application cannot run on Katana/OWIN framework by itself and still needs IIS and ASP .NET pipeline in order to run. However, it can co-exist with and consume OWIN components/middleware such as authentication. Web API on the other can completely run on OWIN and thus run inside of a self-hosting or owin shell. Is this the case? Any idea when MVC 5 will also become a standalone OWIN middleware?
  • From what I have seen, the server and the application mostly reside in the same host. I guess SignalR may be an exception. But in serving web/HTTP requests for a web application, do the server and application always need to be in the same host? And if they are split in two processes, how would the communication take place between the two different hosts? Would we need something like a reverse proxy?
Thanks!
Nov 13, 2013 at 10:23 PM
Correct, MVC5 requires ASP.NET/IIS but can co-exist with OWIN components. WebApi is fully OWIN compatible. The difference is that WebApi was initially designed to be host agnostic, and they published a Asp.Net host and a WCF based self-host. Moving to OWIN wasn't a big deal for them. MVC however has always been tightly coupled to ASP.NET and they're going to have to make dramatic changes to move to OWIN. No news on when/how they'll do that.

Application units are generally confined to a single process. Communication with other processes can be via any mechanism you like (reverse proxy, named pipes, database, etc.).
Nov 13, 2013 at 10:49 PM
Thank you for the quick helpful response and for validating my understanding.