This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Katana project with owin.dll (and associated dlls) not at root of virtual dir

Jun 12, 2014 at 9:46 PM
I have created a Katana implementation running in an existing IIS application, which I cannot change the behavior of the existing application. During the processing of web.config I have added <add key="owin:appStartup" value="My.MyStartup, My" />. This works well if My.dll is in the root of the virtual directory. I have all of the owin DLLs that are needed by the MyStartup currently having to be in the virtual directory root. I have a requirement that the virtual directory have minimal DLLs and with all DLLS being in a shared/bin directory.

Is there a way to configure within web.config (or other ways) to define where IIS should look for the OWIN specific DLLs? I have had to add many of the Microsoft,owin and other DLLs to allow for the initialization of the new component that I wish to add to the existing website.

Can I have all of the OWIN (Microsoft.owin. and owin..dll) code in a separate directory from the existing virtual directory? The configure IIS to look for the owin specific DLLs at a location that is outside of the root virtual directory?

Thanks
Wes
Coordinator
Jun 12, 2014 at 10:00 PM
Katana just uses the ASP.NET BuildManager to find assemblies, so this is a generic ASP.NET question, not a Katana question.

Unfortunately I don't know the answer.
Jun 13, 2014 at 1:42 AM
Thanks for the response, Tratcher!
I have looked all over for an answer to my problem but have not found any resources. The code runs just fine if not running under OWIN and within native IIS System.Web.

Maybe the question is, how does IIS 7 manage the loading of a Katana pipeline. The references in the project point to valid relative paths, but these do not appear to be followed during the StartUp class loading. The only way I have been able to get the OWIN pipeline running is to copy all DLLs referenced to be in the root of the virtual directory.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Wes
Coordinator
Jun 13, 2014 at 2:53 AM
Aug 26, 2014 at 9:48 PM
Thanks Tratcher!
I tried this but was not able to solve the issue.
In the end I resorted to the non-optimal and have DLLs in 2 locations! :(
If any one has a solution I am very interested to hear.
Thanks
Wes