Katana and WPF client authentication

Jan 21, 2015 at 8:46 AM
Hello,
I need to implement katana authentication for WPF application (mostly interested in social and adfs options).
The first idea was to use WebBrowser control inside WPF window.
I would open then for instance MVC page with login options. After a successful login,
a redirection with certain querystring could be performed and WPF would retrieve required auth info.
Problem is that this MVC page doesn't work properly in WebBrowser control. I assume, authentication cookies are getting lost between calls to ExternalLoginCallback.

So, my question is, what is the best way to use Katana authentication inside WPF client.

Thank for any suggestions
Coordinator
Jan 26, 2015 at 11:31 PM
Cookie based auth is not well suited to client applications like this. You'd be better off using an API flow. If you were to use ADFS for example, you would use the ADFS client SDK to authenticate the user, and then take the resulting Bearer (JWT) token and send that to your server so the server could perform actions on that user's behalf. Note you would send the bearer token on each request (that needed it) instead of using cookies to track users across requests.